Sunday, November 22, 2009

Great Surprises

So, my dad has finally retired.  And in an effort to avoid going completely stir-crazy in the first 10 days, my mother and he planned a trip to come and visit the sunny  south (or more specifically their offspring who live here).  The dates were finalized about 5 days prior to leaving when my brother was getting over his little visit from the H1N1 fairy and I was really looking forward to a quick visit with my parents starting Friday at about 4:30.

Naturally we talked a lot in the week leading up to their visit.  Updates on time-lines, where they're staying, how to get around the rockslide that closed the highway on the way to Tennessee.  Etc.  I even got an update from every state they passed through on the way down here, the flora and fauna from that region, approximate temperature and price of gasoline.  (Needless to say we all think that free mobile-to-mobile is a lifesaver.)

At any rate, after a Friday that felt like a Monday I was really looking forward to a little quality time with my parents.  Staying up late telling stories and enjoying quality Canadian beverages.  And, naturally,  thinking about how great it would be if everyone could be here and reminding myself that it's less than 6 weeks until Christmas (*insert collective gasp here*). 

So I get home a few minutes ahead of their arrival and went out with the dogs.  As I was walking back to the driveway, their car was there.  And as I came around the corner I heard the unmistakable shriek of "KIKI!!!!!" that only comes out of a very specific 4-year old little boy.

Apparently the look of shock was pretty priceless when Charlie launched himself at me like a Labrador.  I was about as speechless as I've ever managed to be (which clearly is a rarity).  Finding out that the whole family was in on it was just the best.  Even Charlie.  Having him inform me that every time "Grammy called I was verwy verwy qwuiet so you would be suprwised Kiki!"  was so fun!

Well anyone who knows me can tell you that I absolutely LOVE a good surprise.  I love surprises like a little kid loves a parade on their Birthday.  Even more than being the recipient of a good surprise I love creating good surprises.  The anticipation turns me into an instant 8-year old complete with the big grin and an infectious case of the giggles.  So for my family to work up getting Charlie to spend waaaaaaaaaay too many hours in a car, listen to him ask "are we there yet" for 14 hours, watch the Scooby-Doo DVD 12 times in a row, and dig raisins out of the back-seat for the next 3 months just to come and surprise me is really REALLY outstanding.

I got 24 hours with my parents and 24 hours of "Kiki, let's play catch.  Kiki, can I sleep next to your bed?  Kiki, I want to sit next to you.  Kiki, I want to ride in your car.  Kiki, let's race down the slide.  Kiki, let's run the bases.  Kiki, these fishsticks are reawlly reawlly good!"

And, the kid taught Jake (my no-patience-extra-determination-with-a-side-of-totally-lacking-self-control) to play fetch.  Talk about surprises!


Well, that's the news from here.  Off to plan the next great one :)



No comments:

Post a Comment